Research: Postcard

April 06, 2018

For my short film's postcard, I've been researching some stylistic as well as strategic choices. Postcards are great because they're an easy marketing tactic that can reach a large crowd (if you're at the right place). My postcard would be distributed at different film festivals and theaters, that way my film would have a lot more exposure. No one takes a lame postcard though, so I really want to make my card really aesthetically pleasing. 

Here are some examples of a style I really love; and it has been used extensively for Wes Anderson films! 

These are some Wes Anderson examples:


And these are some other great movie posters with the same minimalistic approach:



If I were to do a more setting-based card, I'd probably just digitally design the setting in this style:


This postcard is by graphic artist Mark Dingo Francisco. He has a whole section for Wes Anderson-based postcards on his website (https://markdingofrancisco.com/#/wes-anderson-postcards/). I love the his style when portraying these different settings. I'd want to mimic his choices.

But if I decide to do my card more character-based, I think I'll go with the first style which is a bit more simplistic. I'm leaning towards that option because I think it's a really cool different perspective on the film's visuals.

For both of the styles I'd do hand-drawn on photoshop, and I'll include all the necessary info (title, screening date, website, etc.). I'm planning on having the card done this weekend, so I'll post it here and on the film website :)

X Maria

Citations:

http://jonreiss.com/2008/10/film-festival-tips-posters-and-postcards/

You Might Also Like

0 comments